Thursday, January 5, 2012

Plenty happening

So much has happened in the past few months, I haven’t even had the time to sit down and write (or type).   The promised Christmas blog never took place and before I haven’t had the chance to blog about my travels, 2012 already sneaked up on me.  Whoever said that time passes by faster as we age is a very wise man! Oh, and I forgot to mention, I passed my mid-thirties, which means I will have the big four O to look forward to…

The last update was about taxi rides in the rain in Manila.  If I had the slightest idea of what Christmas means to the Filipinos, I would have waited to post that blog.  In this tropical country, Christmas decorations started going up in October.  The malls transform into a decorated gift box welcoming shoppers of all budgets.  The buying, spending, shopping, wasting, and giving addictions kick into high gear as if it is on steroid.  For those who make more, there is an expectation that wealth will “trickle-down” to those who make less or to those who make less AND need to have a Christmas party!  Even though I didn’t buy much of anything for anyone, I must have dished out a couple of hundred dollars after receiving email solicitations for “recommended” donations.  In a nut shell, Christmas in the Philippines is not only a time for family gatherings but it is also a time to show personal appreciation through gifts and parties.  

After surviving the Christmas traffic and the endless Christmas parties, Marly and I traveled to Taipei for her big four O.  Marly and I visited Grand Hotel, Longshang Temple, Snake alley, and visited a fortune teller.  Yes, I did the translation for Marly’s readings and it was fun and interesting!  After the Taipei trip, I returned to Sacramento quietly and spent a peaceful holiday week before returning to Manila to adjust my recently adjusted jetlag.  (I spent Thanksgiving in Sacramento too) 

A six month review notice popped up on my work email account a week ago.  It’s hard to believe that I have lived in Manila alone for six months already.  I have flown at least a dozen times to Taipei, Hong Kong, Boracay, and Sacramento, I tried new food, wines (Portuguese, New Zealand, Chillan, and French) and move to new neighborhoods, I have met and became close to several independent, smart, and well-travelled individuals, and I have gained amazing insights into my own life (to be continued) and a new culture.  Did I mention a new job?  The past six months have not been the easiest six months of my life but it has definitely been the most rewarding.  No risk, no reward right?  Tell me how you want your 2012 to be and let me know what kind of risk you are prepared to take!

3 comments:

  1. eek! pressure for a comment! i have NO IDEA what i want 2012 to look like... agh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, pressure pressure! :-) I gave myself until monthend to come up with something fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Q1 goal:
    1. fund raise for Soi dog shelters in March - pub quiz night
    2. read more than surf the web
    3. build a tuk-tuk car and maze for ryan using my own hands
    4. start a children's book

    ReplyDelete